Friday, January 20, 2006

Friday forecast ...

Welcome to new member Captain Cabernet, by the way, who as you see below has already opened his account. Stay tuned our loyal readers for an upcoming Big Feature which might involve yet another Radical New Direction ...

Friday forecasts, come on, let's see if we can turn this into a winning streak.

I'm still not betting on "Aaro plugs his blog". It seems to me as if I wrong to assume it couldn't handle the traffic (typepad appears to be hosting a load of Times blogs), but I think he is still too savvy to bring the burden of moderating a huge flood of comments from "disgusted of Tunbridge Wells".

Soooooo ... Ruth Kelly will be last week's news. I suspect so will Fathers 4 Justice by Tuesday which is a pity since it's archetypal Aaro material, combining doses of "the vulnerability, the fallibility" and an opp. for Asbo advocacy. Actually I think I will put that one down for Nick in the Observer.

The Menezes report might be out next week and is a racing certainty for Nick in the Standard, but my crystal ball is really cloudy for Aaro. I think I'm going to go for cannabis remaining a category C drug, but without any real idea why. Better ideas in the comments thread please ... Simon I will roll over your China prediction until you state otherwise because I agree with Matthew that it is bound to happen someday.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well China's the biggest obstacle to referring Iran to the UN security council, so you get a whole load of talking points in in there: crazy mullahs supported by communist dictatorship - which is actually capitalist and in pointing it out I am still left wing - the ineffectiveness of the UN and its all the Guardian's fault because they're not hard enough on the Galloway-Ming Campbell axis of evil. Jackpot!

There's so much here it could be anytime, though.

1/20/2006 02:04:00 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

CohenOb - Iraqi elections, how liberals failed to predict them, their success, etc.
CohenES - Hugh Laurie/Rachel Weisz golden globes/his NS column on squatters recyled/Iraqi elections
Aaro - Government education reforms, how the left made similar complaints about tuition fees which proved groundless.

Doesn't Aaro have a column in Saturday's paper too?

1/20/2006 02:42:00 PM  
Blogger Captain Cabernet said...

Not wishing to cheat or anything, but we should get some clue to Nick's Sunday column from his interview on Little Atoms at 4.30 pm today. Normblog had the broadcast details:

http://tinyurl.com/8ynud

I won't be listening then, but will try to catch the archived version.

1/20/2006 03:12:00 PM  
Blogger Captain Cabernet said...

But picking in advance of the LA interview, I'm going to go for "Jacques Chirac: nuclear demagogue and the hypocrisy of the Left (with barely relevant side-references to Big Brother)" for Nick on Sunday.

1/20/2006 03:17:00 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Ooh, that's got the Harry's Place stamp. Maybe too obvious that's he nicking copy though?

Of course Galloway in Big Brother is apparently impossible for him to resist, so maybe a third column on it?

1/20/2006 03:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh christ I can see it now "meanwhile a lunatic, crook, anti-Semite and supporter of dictators threatened the world with nuclear holocaust" (alltogethernowboysandgirls) "BUT ENOUGH ABOUT JACQUES CHIRAC!" boom crash Mr Cohen will be at the end of the pier until October. please no, I have a long train journey on Sunday and may end up leaping beneath the wheels.

1/20/2006 04:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an excellent site, but there is a motif that used to appear regularly in the DA's writings which I have not seen you discuss. He used to mention his not very distinguished career as NUS Vice-President, and in particular a conference in Llandudno in I think 75 or 76, at which I too was present, and he would make tantalising reeference to some dalliance he engaged in with one of the NUS sisterhood in the hills above the town.
Have I made this horrid fantasy up or does anyone esle remember ity? I'm sure I saw it in his Indie days, at least twice.
Comradely greetings

1/21/2006 03:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will roll over my China prediction, but I'm not sure he'll do it this week; last week's was pretty much a nadir as far as 'Silence of the Left' articles go, and I think even he might look back at it and feel slightly disgusted with himself.

So this week it'll be Domestic Nick. Pensions, maybe? He'll try and fail to explain the concept of Defined Contribution as opposed to Defined Benefit, blame liberals for failing to save enough for their retirement, and mention George Galloway's parliamentary pension.

1/21/2006 04:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or one that's just occurred to me: ID cards, thanks to Decent Dave Cameron's mention of them at PMQs. Why the government should spend the money on bobbies on the beat instead, and why liberals are hypocrites for defending liberty at home while failing to support liberalism in Iraq.

1/21/2006 04:59:00 PM  
Blogger Sonic said...

I'm a week late but I'll shoot for next week.

Gotta be Galloway, Don't know how he will fit it in but a quick look at the festering corpse that is Harry's place shows the decents are still obsessed.

Might tie it in with the Palestinian/Iraqi elections?

1/23/2006 08:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home