Thursday, July 21, 2005

Housekeeping

I'm not going to try to top the Rioja Kid's assessment of the last Aaaro[1] col - all I have in my notes is that "The Grievance" isn't a generalised teenager's pout, it has a specific Aarabic[2] name which translates as "The War On Islam Being Fought By The Unfaithful" and since Aaronovitch is actually one of the most prominent media voices trying to claim that there is such a war and there ought to be more of it, I for one would appreciate it if he would stop trying to play the old school game of lets-you-and-him-fight.

Anyway, this post is really to put up a link to Melanie Phillips Watch. Trends usually take a couple of years to cross the Atlantic, but I think the "Watcher" craze could take off in the UK. Ms Phillips provides more in the way of unintentional comedy than Aaro so I suspect that MPW will be more popular than us in a short space of time but what the hey. If anyone fancies setting up "Nick Cohen Watch" they can count on a plug here btw, but I would suggest that anyone who does so would need to be a Londoner as Cohen's really bad material is in his column for the Standard which isn't on the Web.


[1]No it's not a misspelling; I'm trying to suggest that he changes his name so that he appears in the Directory of English Pundits ahead of Aaron Aardvark.
[2]Fair enough, that one was a typo. I've got Aaro on the brain.

Update: Big up to Aaronovitch Watch Watch too (I told you this trend was spreading like wildfire). In all honesty, Decent Dave is not the worst columnist in the world by a long way. But that's why he matters; few genuine loonies do. And anyway, he started it. You diss our bruschetta, you're dissing us.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm tempted by 'Polly Toybnee Watch' - not becuase I disagree with her as such, but because I can't believe she still hasn't realised that nobody in the New Labour hierarchy is listening, least of all Blair himself. (Besides, I suspect I'd end up with all sorts of neo-con trolls in the comments, alas.)

7/22/2005 12:12:00 PM  
Blogger Sonic said...

I might start Aaronovitch Watch Watch Watch, or would that be getting silly?

7/26/2005 04:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have thought that "Hitchens Watch" would be a more popular site.

7/26/2005 06:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home