Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Hail to da Chief

This isn't really an Aarowatch post, but I think just about all (both?) of you know that Bruschetta Boy is also known as Daniel Davies ('e's no relation to David Davis). I don't know if Dan has spotted that his claim to fame just hit that point of the exponential graph where the y co-ordinate roughly equals infinity.

The story starts here. Note the 'shorter' which our man created for Stephen den Beste.

Enter a commenter who objects that the 'shorter' quote "does not exist" in the original post. When the meaning of "shorter" is explained, said commenter returns with

I am aware of all internet traditions and also of literary conventions in which placing something in quotes or in a blockquote means that your are quoting that person.


Cue hilarity featuring lolcat. And there's more.

Update 21:55 The Editors, Rick Astley and all. ageism; hello Chuck, nice beard (or is is a fist?); Venn, Obama, and Einstein; and These are not the internet traditions you're looking for.

Update 22:45 The End?. If only! All yr memes r belong to us!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does d^2 really want to be reminded of his flamewar with Den Beste? As I recall, it got a bit ugly.

6/18/2008 10:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not as ugly as it should have done. In particular, I ended up withdrawing a few choice epithets because den Beste decided to publish a few personal details about my employer on his website.

6/18/2008 11:34:00 PM  
Blogger ejh said...

I have nbot the faintest idea what any of this is about. Can anybody assist?

6/19/2008 06:48:00 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I don't think it would yield quite the same LOLs if I painstakingly explained the whole thing in one post. It's one of those "you had to be there" *and* "you have to have that kind of sense of humour" things.

6/19/2008 10:16:00 AM  
Blogger ejh said...

That's OK. I shall return to my chessboard and my string quartets.

6/19/2008 10:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with EJH on this one: I'm reminded of angels dancing on pinheads.

If "you had to be there" then there isn't much point telling it to those of us who weren't there.

Moussaka Man

6/21/2008 12:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home