Sunday, October 29, 2006

changing pages

Adding to BB's observations below, I’m also wondering whether we’re in the process of losing a watchee. Now, I got the Observer print edition this morning and noted certain changes.

Nick usually has all of page 14, with a main article, sidebar and hamper. He’s on the right hand side of a double page spread, generally considered the best position. He also gets his own strapline, which is important because it’s his brand: Nick, of course, writes without prejudice.

This week Nick’s got half of the left hand side of the page. There’s no sidebar or hamper, just the main piece. He’s also lost his strapline. The changes endow the piece – which BB has already Watched better than I could – with a forlorn, slapped together at the last minute, almost blog posty feel.

Meanwhile, his old roost is occupied by some posh fellow discussing pretty things. So far as I’m aware, Nick’s general position enjoys a fair amount of editorial backing at the Observer. But he does go on about the same few things relentlessly. So maybe it’s a dinner party thing: “Shall we invite Nick?” “Must we, he’ll just go ranting on.” “Well, let’s stick him down the far end of the table while we discuss pretty things.”

rioja kid

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noticed this myself. Heading into obscurity I hope.

10/30/2006 12:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noticed this myself. Heading into obscurity I hope.

Nah, a one-way ticket to Dacreville via Mad Melchester, I reckon.

10/31/2006 01:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home