Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Fish in a barrel part deux

I've just realised that the "serious analysis" I was proposing of Tuesday's Aaro basically consisted of pasting the final paragraph:

"In this situation, to ask the State to solve these problems is to ask it to bring order into our most private chaos, to intervene in a million mini-Balkans. It can try, but it will never look good. "


and going "hahahaha, I'll take 'words that begin with I' for £50 please Bob". C'mon, Aaro, it really is looking like we're going to get out pretty soon. Do the big mea-culpa-but-you-a-culpa-much-worse piece and you won't have to bother with these circumlocutions. "mini-Balkans" indeed for shame.

There is the making of a political philosophy here; Aaro is heading toward a sort of Aaro Agonistes version of small-state neoliberalism. The vulnerability, the fallibility, the human condition is tragic and fat, so we mustn't blame the government for its fuckups we must just lower our own expectations. Actually when you put it that way it's clearly got nothing to do with libertarianism; it's just the soft bigotry of low expectations applied to sufficiently aesthetically appealing governments.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Doctor, I read Nick Cohen in today's Evening Standard and I agreed with almost everything I said. Is there anything I can take for this? Or am I doomed?

12/01/2005 12:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's getting late so I wrote glorious egocentric gobbledygook. I should have written: 'i agreed with almost everything HE said'!!!

12/01/2005 12:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home