Sunday, September 21, 2008

So, Sally Can Wait

My friends, I was going write a very short post this morning - "Nick is good today." And the first comment begins "First time I have ever said 'listen to Mr Cohen'."

However, if I write this, I'm connected to the internet. So... yes it's a good story, good for Nick for writing it, but ... he took his time. (I really really apologise for the title, btw. I know it's too late...)

Journalist accused of corrupting a police officer Press Gazette 13 August 2007. Much more informative. Via Richard Wilson. The writer, not the actor, who has links from blog posts dated 6 September and 13 September.

Still, good for Nick for not, er, walking on by. I hope other papers pick this up. If civil liberties in this country go down the toilet, don't ...

8 Comments:

Blogger Chardonnay Chap said...

Septic Isle was good on this in February. The Guardian reported this in March.

9/21/2008 10:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And Private Eye have been running stuff on it all year.

9/21/2008 10:04:00 AM  
Blogger ejh said...

The chesseboard beats the chessboard to it.

9/21/2008 10:04:00 AM  
Blogger septicisle said...

Since most of the stuff in the Eye about it has been written by "Ratbiter" and some people seem to think Ratbiter is aka Cohen maybe he's just taking it up in his Obs column as well now.

9/21/2008 03:36:00 PM  
Blogger Captain Cabernet said...

The only thing I'd quibble about is

"Jack Straw, Jacqui Smith and the senior lawyers at the Crown Prosecution Service learned all about the case. Not one of them told Thames Valley to back off."

I'm not clear that they (a) have the power to do so or (b) wouldn't be abusing their position if they did.

9/21/2008 04:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, prosecutions are brought by the CPS; they don't have any power to stop the police harassing people, but they certainly have the power to ensure that the person being harassed doesn't end up in the dock. The fact that Murrer and Kearney are going to court suggests to me that there's more going on here than police high-handedness - more like a change of line on who can talk to the police and under what conditions, with Murrer made an example to encourage the others.

9/21/2008 09:35:00 PM  
Blogger Captain Cabernet said...

Indeed Phil, I was really thinking about Straw and Smith.

9/22/2008 07:15:00 AM  
Blogger cian said...

Its good that he raised it, but so low is my confidence in Nick's abilities these days, that I didn't believe a word of it until I'd checked the whole thing for myself. Which is kind of sad, really.

9/22/2008 02:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home