Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Why the *Euston* Manifesto?

Ahhhh, found it:

ALEXEI Sayle once did a routine about Liverpudlians staggering off the train at Euston. Bewildered by the size of London, they huddled around the station for the rest of their lives.

I don't know about Liverpudlians but Sayle got me to a tee. Vast swathes of London are a mystery because I have stayed within two miles of Euston since arriving from Birmingham in 1987.

The other day I went to Holland Park for the first time because the editor of the Standard had invited me to a very jolly Christmas lunch. Despite my being a trained investigative reporter, her PA had to send me a map and I still got lost twice.


It was the same week as the bizarre "Daleks" piece so we missed it, but there you go ...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liverpudlians? Scotsmen when I saw him perform it..and why does he no longer do the Brecht routine...he was a ringer for BB

4/18/2006 06:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out Nick Cohen's intro on his blog...

"I’ve taken a short break from finishing the book to save the Left from itself, a task which feels harder than saving the planet at the moment."

Poor old SuperNick. Wanker

4/21/2006 11:56:00 AM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

Oh dear me, dear Decents. I thought Martin Kettle would be more friendly to the Euston Manifesto - but he isn't.

4/22/2006 03:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home